Other than some photography skills I also learned the following:
1. Sunburns on top of mosquito bites are very unpleasant
2. Mosquito bites on top of mosquito bites are equally awful
3. The little bastards will bite right through several layers of clothing
4. It's best to buy a bug jacket BEFORE a week of class in the bush, as opposed to asking your mother-in-law to get one for you in Prince Albert three days in and after you've scratched off a large percentage of your epidermis.
5. The mosquito population in Saskatchewan this year is more than double the historical average.
I also learned this great little bon mot from a fellow student:
Q. What are the last words of a prairie boy?
A. "Hold my beer and watch this."